Friday, September 13, 2013

Wrath

Wrath
358 Words
@NomDeBen
Posted to FlashFriday#41


Mac and I saw the whole thing.  We was out back by the woods and had just settled down to sleep.  We wasn’t under the trees cause we wanted to see the show.  His folks had bought him that fancy sleepin' bag last year, but I jes grabbed my blankets.
 Ma yelled at me that if they comed back ripped, it’d be better if I ain't comed back at all.  But it’s been gettin’ colder at night, so I needed somethin’ to keep warm and there was no way I was gonna miss a chance to sleep out under the stars tonight.  Not with all the fallin’ stars we’ve been seein’ the last few nights.  Mac and I counted over a hundred of ‘em just last night alone before Ma called us back in.  Well anyhow, we was laying down to sleep when the sky lit up like the sun comin’ up.  We sat up starin’ at the sky trying to figure out what was goin’ on when Mac says it’s acause we was tellin’ those dirty stories.  He says God’s gonna punish us.  I figured it couldn’t be that.  I heard Uncle Bud tellin’ them to Pa and there was no hellfire then.  But there we was starin’ at a firey ball, jes like Mac says, hurling straight at us.  Me and Mac started telling the Lord we’s sorry right fast.  Preacher says it jes takes once, but with him throwin’ giant balls of fire at us we figured on playin’ it safe.

Well I’ll be damned if it didn’t work.  That ball of fire started breakin up and shrinking.  We kep it up though, shouting sorry and halleluia and amens until it hit the ground.  Obvusly it didn’t hit us.  It fell short a good ways.  But man did it throw up a cloud a wind and fire!  The whole farm was covered in an inch of dirt for days to come.  Shoot corn started sproutin up on top of the roof even.  Anyways, come to find out later, it landed in Uncle Bud’s back fourty.  Maybe them stories was a bit dirtier than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment